Saturday, December 7, 2013

If I commit to purchasing your book, will you give me extra credit?

Honestly, I am just kidding over the title, only in a perfect world I could talk my professor into easy points for a class. It is highly unethical but, just for a good laugh, I figured I would ask.
At first, I did not know what to think of this class. I got a cheap book, and a fairly easy read about flattening of the world. It came across as if Friedman was on drugs, but then after some thought, and figuring out what he meant by his metaphor, it all made sense. In a way, the world has been shrinking. In a way that with the help of industrialization, new technologies, and globalization, our world has gotten smaller, in a technical sense. We now have ways to connect faster, and easier to other areas of the planet for a relatively low cost.
This class has helped me find a new appreciation for technology, and the world we live in today. I always was a tech nerd, but only with media and entertainment aspects, but now with a more productive view on technology and our world, I have begun to appreciate it even more. Even as I sit here at work, updating this blog while in incognito mode, I am able to finish my final assignment. I don’t have to worry about transferring anything to a flash drive, or email it to my personal email for to ensure I upload this to my blog in a timely matter. Those are the least of my worries, right now as I sit at work, my biggest worry is having a supervisor see what I am doing and write me up for doing something that would be considered a violation of security. Thank you Google Drive for allowing me to open a document, and have it automatically save as I type, very convenient for trying to submit an assignment just before it is due.
Overall, the most that I have learned from this class is Globalization, and how it has affected our life and how we keep in contact with the world. The difference between outsourcing and offshoring were two big things that I had a negative political perspective on, this class had helped for me to better understand the benefits of both, if they are not abused and overdone.
On our last class, one of the most interesting things I could have learned about technology was the 3D printer, and the possibilities it has for our future. The thought of what could come about a 3D printer is something that I am sure at one point would be considered science fiction. With the rapid advancements in technology, what was once thought of as nothing more than a dream, is quickly becoming a reality.

This class came as somewhat of a surprise to me, I 

thought of it as an easy A but realized I learned more that I 

had originally thought. My appreciation of technology is now 

greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment