Tuesday, October 15, 2013

My theory is that Gene Simmons is the true father of Miley Cyrus.

            With a long week of writers block from someone who is far from ever having the sheer insanity, paranoia, insomnia, and occasional chain smoking of a true writer, am now back at it, really pumping out a pile of refuse that one would call a blog (I do not, nor ever will consider myself to have those traits listed above to call myself a writer.) I just had a hard time getting back at it, maybe because of laziness, procrastination, or a hellish work week (with a side of GTA 5) I am giving this blog a mighty dose of bullshit. Thanks for giving this a chance, but seriously, set the bar extremely low this time around.
Why are some countries or regions better at doing some things than other countries or regions?
            I think, and mind you this is personal opinion and thought, that now that with a flattened world, and a level playing field, that more countries have been forced to be more competitive to stay relevant in a large world market. If I had to compare with Friedman’s words and his talks about Mexico, it just makes sense. Look at China, huge world population, and a culture with a severe attention to detail. Compare that to the U.S. we have our own automated culture, electronics and videogames, it is just hard to keep up with those kind of cultures and countries who are in a situation where they have to pay attention to such detail on manufacturing and of course to earn their pay they pump units out faster and more efficient with their large population working for every dollar they can earn. The U.S. has a better business relationship with China rather than Mexico just for that reason. Even if you compare the engineering aspect of India and the large rise of those outsourced jobs, you have to consider that in a flat world, sometimes the more dedicated worker gets the leg up in competition with other countries, and that just comes down to pure dedication, or a culture that strives on that dedication to remain competitive in the rest of the market. So, in retrospect I would say it is just that, some countries just have that edge, with a government, or a culture, or an economy that demands that dedication to stay competitive with other countries.
What are self-directed consumers? Are you a self-directed consumer?        
            A self-directed consumer is someone who does their own research before purchase of product, among other things, that is pretty much it. Yes, I do find myself a self-directed consumer, largely with the help of the internet I have a huge advantage and convenience to access that data at my fingertips. I research on electronics and other technologies that interest me from time to time even if I lack the means to purchase such equipment. Example, I hate my phone, the battery life is horrid and I am pretty sick of charging it up to three times a day. I think it is time for a new phone but I cannot upgrade until the end of my contract in May 2014. So, I explore my options and notice some of the top phones in reader reviews or you tube just to make my choice or at least narrow down choices even though I am not in the position to purchase a phone without contract for somewhere up to $600 dollars, or in some cases more. So, as I look through my options I see that I could purchase a used phone, they are guaranteed but they are fairly dated and I just do not want to run into the same deal with my current phone, plus being a big geek like myself, I have to have the latest and greatest. I did enough research to determine that either I wait to the end of my contract and buy the top product of that time, or I see reports and rumors of the google nexus 5 due to be announced at the end of the month, and I can purchase that phone at the same price as if I was to wait and purchase a quality contract handset device.
Does globalization mean Americanization?

            No, well yes? Seriously I feel like this is a hard question to answer, America is a very large market that just about every country is pushing to stay in business with. Outsourcing, manufacturing, etc. From what I have read, and to my understanding, to distinguish the line between globalization and Americanization is this: you look at how countries are competing to stay relevant in a dominant U.S. market, so with China as an example, they do their American research in order to create products that are relevant to our culture. So I imagine they watch our pop culture and see Miley Cyrus twerking with her tongue out and probably think “WTFuck?” I don’t blame them if they do, in fact I see some of their culture and think the same. But, if they want to stay in our market sometimes it is wise to shrug your shoulders and create a product that the consumer wants. So yes, in a way it can be considered Americanization, but if I was to consider a different country as being a world leader other than the United States, would I call that Arabicization? I say that without trying to make up an offensive word for anyone. But considering the massive growth of Dubai over the last two decades it’s not hard to think that it would be a definite possibility pending political mishaps, and unwinnable wars, that we may not be at the top of the economic food chain, and the deciding factor in Globalization forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment